Click Here to Download your Checklist “The 7 Habits of Serenity”, and explore these valuable Success Tips below for Your Pursuit of Happiness.
What do you think would make you happy?
Happiness isn’t always easy to figure out, so here are some tips:
1. Living a meaningful life is the best way to find happiness. Without any sense of meaning in life, people typically resort to filling that void with the pursuit of power, materialism, or more hedonistic pleasures.
○ What is meaningful? There is no universal answer to this. You get to choose what is meaningful to you. When you don’t live your life in a way that you consider to be meaningful, happiness eludes you. You’re likely to feel guilty, and guilt and happiness rarely occur together.
2. There are several things that must be present to experience happiness. Just like you need flour, butter, and eggs to make a cake, there are certain things most of us need to feel happy:
○ The ability to care of yourself. Lets face it, if you are not providing for yourself it really does damage to your happiness levels. You end up feeling trapped.
○ Something to look forward to. Have you ever noticed how you feel happier and more excited when you have something to look forward to? It might be your birthday, a vacation, or something you’ve been saving up to buy. It could be anything that’s enjoyable to you.
○ Someone to love and someone that loves you. It’s important to have at least one special person in your life. It could be a lover, close friend or a child.
○ Progress. We’re happier when we’re making progress with our lives. Losing ground doesn’t feel good. Staying in the same place is boring. Progress is important.
○ Relevance. When you can do something that others need and appreciate, you’re more likely to experience happiness.
4. Avoid confusing pleasure and fun with happiness. Happiness feels good. So, some people think the way to be happy is to feel good. What feels good? Sex, food, alcohol, hobbies, and all other sources of fun and pleasure. While these things can feel great in the short-term, the feeling doesn’t last.
We are all driven to move toward happiness. Some may believe the way to be happy is to be rich, famous, and powerful. Others believe that helping others will make them happy. You have to decide for yourself what will lead to your happiness.
Remember that pleasure and happiness aren’t the same thing. There’s a difference, so Go be happy!